Tips If you have a Fire in your Home
If you have a fire in your home we understand you won’t be out there on the web looking for tips, but maybe by reading these ahead of time some of these will stick in your head if you do fall into this unfortunate position.
At SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties we have to goal in mind to make it “Like it never even happened” in your home. Whether it smoked or smoldered we will make sure our professionally trained crew will be there for you.
Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts if you have fire and smoke damage.
- Limit movement of people in the structure to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely, and prop doors open to prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances. Then protect with a light coat of lubricant.
- Pour RV antifreeze into sinks, toilet bowl, holding tanks, and tubs if heat is off during freezing season.
- Gently wash both side of leaves and indoor plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until checked by trained professional.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- DON’T attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties Professional.
- DON’T attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties.
- DON’T attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service person.
- DON’T consume any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. They could be contaminated.
- DON’T turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock.
- DON’T send garments to the dry cleaner, Improper cleaning may set the smoke odor.
Let SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties help you out by contacting us at 715-643-7171.