Heat Your Home Safely This Winter | SERVPRO® of Barron, Dunn & Rusk Counties
The chill of the winter season has set in, so chances are you have cranked on your central heating or stocked up wood for your fireplace to prepare for the dip in temperature. While these tasks can seem easy to do, without the proper preparations, you could wind up being vulnerable to house fires!
We want you to stay warm and toasty all winter, so our team has laid out tips about how to safely heat your home all season long below.
Many homes are equipped with a furnace and an HVAC system that helps transport the heat around your home. In order for your furnace to work properly, it needs to be maintained regularly.
If you haven’t done so already this season, inspect your furnace for any issues and provide it with a thorough cleaning so it can function efficiently and avoid contact with excess dust or debris.
You should also take this opportunity to replace the air filter in your HVAC system. Ideally, this should be done every 90 days, and even more often if you have a busy household or have pets. A good habit to get into is changing your filter at the start of every new season.
Your air filter is crucial to protecting the lifespan of your HVAC system and furnace and can help keep dust, debris and allergens out of the air in your home.
If you have a fireplace, you probably enjoy the many benefits that this form of heating can offer! In addition to the efficient warmth it produces, the dancing flames can provide your home with a cozy feel.
However, fireplaces can also be a fire hazard if they are not cleaned often and maintained as well! Whether your fireplace is artificial or wood-burning, it needs to be cleaned and inspected every season.
For wood-burning fireplaces, clear out any buildup of ash, ensure that your chimney is free of blockages and wipe down any soot or smoke stains on the surrounding bricks. If you have an artificial fireplace, make sure to remove the glass and wipe down the logs and glass to remove dust buildup.
If you use space heaters in your home, they can be a great way to heat a single room or space quickly. However, they can also be huge fire hazards! Keep your space heater three feet away from any combustible materials, and never leave it on when you go to bed.
Space heaters should always be placed on a level surface where they won’t be easily knocked over, and they should be plugged into the wall directly—never into an extension cord.
If you have children or pets, keep an eye on them any time you light up your fireplace or use your space heaters. All it takes is a single accident for you to experience a widespread disaster during the winter season.
If you experience fire damage this season, give us a call at SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn & Rusk Counties for immediate assistance. We’re here 24⁄7 when you need us!